If you’ve been looking for antivirus software, you’re sure to have come across the name “Total Defense”. It is a name that has been hanging around the top of “most popular” lists of security software. Total Defense offers products designed to keep your devices safe both online and offline. Its 3 products—Unlimited Internet Security, Premium Internet Security, and Anti-Virus—provide all-round protection against a host of security issues. Total Defense provides a number of features that will safeguard your PC, tablet, and mobile against the latest viruses, ransomware, and spyware.
That being said, before you buy any antivirus software, it is important to look into all its aspects. Everything from its price to its drawbacks is important. So, let’s take a look at Total Defense’s 3 products and all the features they have to offer.
Before looking into details regarding individual products, let’s review features common to all of Total Defense’s software. These are aimed at helping you perform safe online transactions, downloads, and browsing. They also provide guarantees against any virus/malware crossing their protection.
Superior Threat Detection
Total Defense uses state-of-the-art, innovative technology to perform scans on your devices. Its proactive method combined with the most up-to-date database provides protection against the latest of viruses and attacks. Possible security breaches are dealt with before they even happen.
Dual malware scanning engines work around the clock to actively root out possible system vulnerabilities. Total Defense’s cloud-based technology safeguards your devices against spyware, ransomware and viruses before they get a chance to attack.
In this way, Total Defense’s security software protects your devices from all kinds of online threats, giving you secure access to the internet.
Optimized Device Performance
Total Defense’s innovative virus detection system detects and removes threats without compromising the performance of your devices. The system is efficient and powerful and does not slow down your PC.
Once installed, threat detection and removal are done automatically. Also, since there will be no problems with the speed and performance of your devices, you can simply leave the whole business of security to Total Defense’s software. The security system requires only the bare minimum of your attention, so you can enjoy a safe browsing experience without worrying about hacking, phishing, and viruses.
Money Back Guarantee
The Total Defense staff are so sure of their products’ abilities that, if a virus finds a way around their protection and infects your device, their technology advisors will remove it for free. This, of course, seems like the reasonable thing to do, especially considering the amount of confidence with which they describe their “multi-layered virus protection technology”.
In case they can’t remove the virus (something they consider to be highly unlikely), they will give your money back. This might not be as helpful as it sounds if you have lost important data in your PC, or if your tablet has crashed. However, not all security software providers can provide this kind of guarantee (especially when it comes to free tech service), so this is a great sign of Total Defense’s reliability. However, it would be a good idea to check the terms and conditions applicable for the money back guarantee.
PREMIUM INTERNET SECURITY
This is the “bestseller” among Total Defense’s 3 security products. Premium Internet Security is available for a period of 1, 2 or 3 years. The difference in their price might be an advantage if you’re on a tight budget.
The product supports Windows, Mac, and Android, allowing you to fortify all your current devices. It also comes with 10GB of Cloud storage and backup.
Here is a look at some of the features that you would love.
- Protection For Multiple Devices: A single purchase of Premium Internet Security can be used for up to 5 different devices.
- Financial Safety : Total defense provides optimum safety for all your online transactions—payments, online shopping, banking—by protecting your information from cyber criminals.
- Identity Safety : Premium Internet Security provides protection against identity theft by storing all your personal information in an encrypted vault, thus denying access to any third party.
- Dual Malware Scanning Engines And Cloud-Based Technology : This innovative technology actively seeks out and eliminates threats before they have a chance to compromise your device’s safety. This offense-oriented form of protection can thus keep your PC and all its connected devices safe during all your online activities.
- Online backup And Restoration : The online backup facility provided by Total Defense automatically stores your data (files, photos and other important information) at an offline location. This way, all your information can be easily restored in the event of data loss.
This is a particularly convenient feature. There are a number of freak accidents that can cause loss of data, from hardware damage to floods. In the event of such unforeseen problems, it is always a good idea to have an offline backup. With Premium Internet Security, you won’t even have to be aware of this important step since it is done automatically.
Premium Internet Security is compatible with a wide range of operating systems and browsers. So installing it shouldn’t cause you any trouble. You would, however, have to make sure that you can meet all the basic hardware and memory requirements.
- 2GB Ram
- 1GHz or faster processor
- Internet Explorer 8 or above
- 650 MB of available hard disk space 1024 x 600 or higher resolution
- Internet Access, CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not using electronic download)
Supported Operating Systems
- The software supports everything from Windows XP onward.
- It supports all the popular browsers from Internet Explorer to Firefox to Chrome.
- Smartphone and Tablet
- Android 3.0 higher
This is the cheapest and most basic of Total Defense products. Just like Premium Internet Security, it is available for a period of 1, 2 or 3 years.
The product is designed for Windows desktops and laptops. It provides total protection against all the constantly evolving viruses out there. Total Defense also provides free automatic updates for Anti-Virus.
- Protection For Multiple Devices : A single purchase of Anti-Virus can be used for up to 3 different devices.
- All-Round Safety : Anti-Virus provides your devices with safety from malware, spyware, ransomware, and viruses, even the latest ones.
- Optimum Performance of PC : Anti-Virus protects your PC from all malicious software without compromising your computer’s speed or browsing performance.
- Free Upgrades : Your Anti-Virus will get upgraded with new features and newer versions of the software as soon as they become available. This avoids the hassle of having to buy and replace older versions of the product, installing it all over again and resetting your preferences.
Total Defense’s Anti-Virus is compatible with all the operating systems and browsers that are supported by its Premium Internet Security. It also needs the same basic requirements for installation and normal functioning.
UNLIMITED INTERNET SECURITY
As the name suggests, this product provides protection for an unlimited number of devices. And it does so without causing them to slow down. Sounds too good to be true, but that’s what the product providers claim. Even if it doesn’t work as well as they say, there is always that free tech support and money back guarantee to fall back on.
This product too is available for a span of 1, 2, and 3 years, and it is also the most expensive of the 3 products.
Smart PC Optimization Technology: this feature detects and eliminates threats to your PC/devices without causing a negative on its speed and performance. The protective procedures will take place automatically in the background without effective your work.
- Faster Startups: Unlimited Internet Security gives your PC faster startups through automatic scans, fixes, and updates. This allows for faster, smoother browsing as well. The result is that your PC will be kept in optimum condition.
- Blocks Harmful Content: This product is specially designed to keep your PC safe from phishing software that aims at stealing your identity and compromising your finances. Unlimited Internet Security blocks suspicious email messages, fake social media content, fraudulent websites, etc. to filter out scams that can cause you harm.
Furthermore, data regarding your identity are store in an encrypted vault to eliminate the possibility of theft.
- Automatic Updates : With automatic updates of your applications, Unlimited Internet Security closes possible security holes in your system.
- Mobile Security : This feature allows you to secure your occasionally misplaced smartphone or tablet. If your mobile or tablet are lost, the mobile security feature can be used to locate and remotely lock them. This ensures that private data on your phone/tablet are safe.
- Offline Storage : As with Total Defense’s other two products, important data are stored offline to make sure that they can be easily recovered in the event of hardware damage or any such disasters.
Unlimited Internet Security Supports all the operating systems supported by Premium Internet Security and Anti-Virus, plus a few extra specifications. The basic requirements for its installation are slightly different too.
- 650 MB of available hard disk space
- 1024 x 600 or higher resolution
- Internet Access
- CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 10 (32 & 64-bit), 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor, Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Windows 8.1 (32 & 64-bit), 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor, Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit), 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor, Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Windows 7 (Starter / Home Basic & Premium / Business / Ultimate), 32 & 64-bit, 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor, Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Windows Vista (Starter / Home Basic & Premium / Business / Ultimate), 32 & 64-bit with Service Pack 1, 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor, Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Windows XP (Home / Professional), 32-bit with Service Pack 3, 2 GB RAM, 1 GHz or faster processor Internet Explorer 8 or above
The rest of the specifications (browsers, smartphones/tablets) are the same as the other two products.
- Powerful protection against Viruses, phishing, hacking, ransomeware, spyware, etc.
- Free tech service (in case the product fails) and money back guarantee.
- Advanced, innovative threat detection and removal technology.
- Provides protection for multiple devices.
- Multiple products available for you specific needs.
- VB100 Certified
- Products are expensive.
- No online device management.
- Not much rating from independent antivirus testing labs.
- No trial downloads available.
Total Defense is a very effective antivirus software, but it may not suit everyone. First of all, there is no scope to try out trial versions to make sure that it is compatible with the software you use. Secondly, it is expensive.
That being said, its protective features are very good (although there are competitors that provide even more features). That combined with the fact that multiple (even unlimited) number of devices can be secured with the same purchase makes it a good investment.